twitter




Sunday, March 14, 2010

Yellow spot on my tooth.. enamel problem?

I got my braces off Tuesday so I immediately started using Crest WhiteStrips so I could get them as white as possible before school starts. When I was small, I had to ingest alot of medication because of a condition. My dentist said that the medication totally thinned my enamel and I had very little left on my front teeth.





On my bottom front tooth, I have a white spot. On the tooth beside it, I have a yellow spot in the same location. Is this due to enamel loss? Or can these Whitestrips, used properly, help deminish those spots?

Yellow spot on my tooth.. enamel problem?
Carley, I would be careful using those strips for whitening your teeth. They can wear the enamel off your teeth. I know that many products now say they won't damage enamel, but it happened to me on 5 teeth.





I don't know if the advertising is misleading or if it's me (and you). I, too, have very thin enamel and have to see my dentist every so often, so she can replace the enamel. So maybe because I have very thin enamel, those products, which are OK for healthy teeth, wear off my enamel because it's so thin.





You should see your dentist about the yellow spot. It could be loss of enamel; I have to look for yellow spots. Also, it could be a cavity in the early stages, which you would want to fix right away. Actually, both situations should be taken care of quickly.





When you see your dentist, ask him/her if it's OK for you to use those Whitestrips. Tell the dentist that another girl, much older than 14, had her thin enamel worn off by it. Maybe it is all right for you; everyone's case is different. It's just something to look into.





I miss being able to use the strips. Because of my thin enamel, I also have sensitive teeth; so I use Sensodyne toothpaste. Then they came out with a whitening toothpaste for sensitive teeth; so I thought this would be safe for my teeth. No such luck. Three teeth, in the front, need to be fixed. %26lt;sigh%26gt;





I wish you better luck.
Reply:Hi! I've been in dentistry for over 25 years and I think I can help you. First of all ask your dentist for a fluoride ONLY tooth gel to use every night before bed. You brush this on, spit and do not rinse. This will start to strengthen your teeth and you will love the look. Next, wait for about 2-3 weeks and see if the yellow spot is still there. The dentist may be able to polish it off with a pumice (looks like fine sand) and remove it.Then you must continue the fluoride and you will love how much it keeps your teeth healthy and NO cavities. And also you can use a peroxide/salt paste to gently rub the area with a very soft tooth brush. Do this once a day and little by little it should go away. Try this first before you ask the dentist to pumice it, but please get the fluoride rinse to encourage the strenght of the enamal and you can have your teeth for life!! I have done this for years and it does work, I promise. Marie.



opera sheet music

No comments:

Post a Comment